Very good quality set of Eight Edwardian Mahogany Dining Chairs, the set comprises of two armchairs and six single chairs bearing the makers label of Hampton & Sons Pall Mall East London, having a Fleur-De-Lys design to the back and standing on reeded square tapering front legs terminating in a spade foot a sign of the quality is that the chairs have two stretchers to the legs.
Hampton and Sons were cabinet makers of Antique Furniture and were first established in ca. 1830 by William Hampton. He opened his first shop selling General household to more fine furniture in Cranbourn Street, in London. In 1869 Williams Two sons George and William joined his business and they expended and moved to the larger premises at 8 Pall Mall, London.
Hampton and Sons furnished some impressive properties and boats from the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary, the Theatre Royal of Drury Lane, the Duke of York Theatre, the Dorchester and the Mayfair Hotels and the palaces of two Indian princes, the Nizam of Hyderabad & the Maharajah of Kashmir.
Hampton and Sons had a few disasters throughout its history, it suffered a major fire in 1890 but they re-established and went to expand their business further. They bought several cabinet making firms starting with James Coulson and Co of Lisburn, Northern Ireland in 1898, and then Goodall, Lamb and Highway of King Street, Manchester and Robson and Sons Ltd of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (all very prestigious cabinet makers throughout History).
In 1926 Hampton and Sons opened a factory at Ingate Place, Battersea but in 1940 a bomb hit the Pall Mall premises and most of the building was destroyed. Because of this they decided to buy a controlling interest in the firm of Storey & Co Ltd of Kensington High Street where they established their new Headquarters.
If you would like any more information on this piece or would like to go ahead and purchase please contact us
All our goods are covered by the distance seller act
Payment methods we take are bank transfers and card payments.